Setting up the Home Directory on Windows
Add the environment variable
HOME to your environment variables.
- In Windows 7, type “environment” at the start menu
- Select “Edit environment variables for your account”
- Click the “New” button.
- Enter “HOME” in the name field
- Enter “%USERPROFILE%” or some other path in the value field.
- Click OK, and OK again. You have just added the Home directory on Windows.
EGit needs this path for looking up the user configuration (.gitconfig).
HOME should point to your home directory e.g.
C:\Users\Tom. Ensure correct case! E.g.
C:\users instead of
C:\Users may cause problems!
HOME variable is not defined the home directory will be calculated by concatenating
HOMEDRIVE are not defined
HOMESHARE will be used.
EGit shows a warning if
HOME is not defined explicitly. Keep in mind that if you set the HOME environment variable while Eclipse is running, you will still see following warning. You will have to restart Eclipse for it to recognize the HOME value.